Poison , from Latin venenum, is a substance capable of produce serious functional alterations in a living being . The poison is something harmful to the Health which can even lead to death.
It can be said that a poison is any toxic liquid, gaseous or solid substance, capable of blocking or inhibiting a chemical reaction. Paracelsus assured that "Everything is poison, depending on the dose". The famous doctor and alchemist referred to any substance becoming toxic with very high doses, including water or oxygen. Poisons, therefore, are harmful substances even at very low doses.
There are poisons of vegetable origin (such as certain substances that appear in the hemlock ), animal (from snakes ), mineral (he arsenic ) and artificial (substances synthesized by man in laboratories).
For example: “If you travel to the jungle Amazon, be careful with snakes: there are some who inject a poison that can be lethal if you do not go to a help center soon ”, “My grandmother died of poisoning and her last moments were really very painful”, “I was taught at school that you don't have to eat wild mushrooms since some contain poison and can be harmful.”.
It is possible to find different uses symbolic or metaphorical of the concept. The poison, therefore, can also be a thing that causes moral damage or a negative feeling (such as resentment or anger): “Yesterday I argued with my boss and I was left with a lot of poison”, "You can't live angry with life: you have to get rid of the poison before it turns against you".
Below are eight of the most dangerous poisons ever known to humans; some of them are part of the daily life of many people without their knowledge, which shows a worrying level of misinformation that, in certain cases, can cost us lifetime:
* Botulinum toxin: The danger of this poison appears when ingested, as it causes a breakdown of the nervous system and causes a terribly painful death. It should be mentioned that it is used in very common beauty treatments in the last decade, and in that area it is known as botox;
* ricin: if swallowed or inhaled, attack the system respiratory and internal organs, causing death;
* anthrax: inhaling this poison begins a flu state that does not end until it destroys the respiratory system and, with it, the life of its victim. It is also lethal through touch;
* sarin gas: It is a product that was created as a pesticide and, perhaps as a just consequence for trying to end the life of an innocent species, it is deadly for humans if they inhale it. A small dose is enough to take a person to a coma from which you will not wake up;
* tretrodotoxin: especially known for coming from fugu (name given in Japanese on Blowfish). Who consume products of animal origin, they must remember that the poison of this species does not disappear after cooking and that it can end the life of an adult in a few hours, after having completely paralyzed it;
* cyanide: It exists in nature in various forms, although it is also possible to manufacture it without major complications. Ingesting or inhaling it results in cardiac arrest and, minutes later, death;
* mercury: inhaling it puts the respiratory system and the central nervous system in serious danger;
* strychnine: This pesticide is not so powerful, but if ingested or inhaled, it generates a series of spasms so violent that they end up depleting the victim, taking his life.