If we look for the word loft in the dictionary of the Royal Spanish Academy (RAE ), we will not find it. The term, however, is often used in our language to name a environment without divisions .
A loft, therefore, is a large space that has no segmentation or has few subdivisions . Usually it is bright places with windows large to favor the entry of the sun's rays.
The first lofts date back to the decade of 1950 in New York . There, before the high price of the apartments (apartments), they began to used industrial warehouses and factories as homes . In the beginning it was a spontaneous decision, although little by little these constructions began to adapt and be restored as houses or as the headquarters of different types of shops (stores, restaurants, etc.).
Thus the lofts were transformed into a new class of building, characterized by large dimensions and luminosity. Unlike conventional separations of real estate that are divided into different environments (kitchen, bedroom, dining room), the lofts are based on a single large space.
The absence of internal doors and the minimalist decoration are other characteristics of the lofts, which are usually chosen by artists and young people thanks to the feeling of freedom They provide.
That said, one of the key points of the loft as an interior design concept is the breadth or, at least, the feeling of spaciousness of the environment. It is very common in certain Offices modern ones dedicated to the development of software and videogames, among other products for which creative freedom is essential.
By eliminating the typical oppression of traditional offices, in which subdivisions and small spaces reign, the loft gives workers a degree of relaxation and confidence similar to what they feel in their own homes, as if they were carrying out a draft with your friends.
Let's see below a very detailed list of the premises that we must take into account to convert a flat into a real loft:
* must have a style minimalist , so that the finishes should match the materials which are used for the construction itself, unlike ornate environments with many elements. In addition, these materials must be economical;
* the absence of walls, a point that is not enough to emphasize;
* the furniture must be functional but without sacrificing the comfort To reach this goal;
* ceilings must be considerably high or, if this is not possible, give the sensation of a greater height by means of finishing;
* there should be no traditional doors but sliding doors, although only if they are really necessary, since to change the space into portions, changes in level, colors and textures are recommended;
* In a loft, rigid frames should be used as the main construction system;
* It must be very bright naturally, for which it is essential to have large windows. In some cases the presence of large helps Mirrors strategically located with the aim of redirecting sunlight;
* the luminosity of the materials of the walls, the ceiling and the floor is also important so that the loft depends as little as possible on the electric light;
* given the activities that are usually carried out in a loft, its appearance must be industrial to inspire the continuity of work and productivity .
"Loft" , on the other hand, is the title of two films : a Japanese horror film released in 2005 and a Belgian thriller that premiered in 2008 . By last, Loft It is the name of a German electronic music band.