It is called homiletics to the application of the notions of rhetoric within the framework of the preaching . It can be considered as a art or one discipline which aims to convey a religious discourse or a sermon effectively.
Homiletics, therefore, implies selection, organization and the preparation of the material used to preach. The objective of the priest or preacher is to be able to communicate clearly what he wishes to spread.
Through homiletics, the elaboration, composition and styles of the sermons are analyzed to present them correctly in the religious discourse. This is how the teachings of God to the faithful and the evangelizing task is developed.
It is important to keep in mind that the Vatican He stressed that there can be no improvisation in the homily. Why in 2015 presented a Homiletic Directory with tips so that priests They can prepare the homilies and improve their arrival to all believers.
These homiletic suggestions were compiled by the Congregation for Divine Worship and Discipline of the Sacraments . The pope himself Francisco laid the foundations of the document by stating that the homily is not a “Entertainment show”, although it has to bring fervor to the celebration . The pontiff also warned that the preacher who does not prepare his homily is irresponsible and dishonest.
Know how to use the voice and mastering gestural language are two homiletic issues that help increase the effectiveness of the homily, according to the criteria accepted by the Holy See .
Find one idea interesting and - why not? - Original is not an easy task for a priest, especially during his first years at the head of a parish. This is one of the issues that most concern homiletic students, but it should not become an impossible pressure to bear but an incentive to get each homily to exceed the previous one.
It is important to remember that religious celebrations are not superficial events, but that the faithful appreciate reflection and word of God: they will not get angry or lose interest in the Mass if the issues are not always impressive, but they will know how to look further and take the teachings with the illusion of meeting their partners again the next time.
Fundamental points of homiletics
In the difficult task of preparing a homily, the priest pay special attention to the following points:
* The main theme : the sermon must be carried out with a well-defined objective, and that is why the question that triggers the entire organization must be "what do I want to talk about?" Only when the priest can answer it with total firmness should he proceed;
* the use of texts : relying on the texts of the Bible during the evangelical sermon is a custom that dates back to time immemorial, and has not yet lost strength. For this reason, it is recommended to continue with it to give the ceremony a character more divine;
* thematic sermon : it is about exposing a particular topic or issue, independently of the biblical texts, in order to focus on the doctrine or set of teachings that the Scriptures offer us about it;
* subdivisions : once we have the theme and the texts on which we will rely, for example, the time comes to think about the flow of the ceremony, the parts into which we will divide the homily , taking into account the structure that we must respect in itself;
* the introduction : Although it comes first, it is often planned at the end of the process. The introduction It must be consistent and impactful, to capture the attention of all the regulars and those who step on the temple for the first time and get them to stay until the last second.