In the Latin word “contingentia” is where the etymological origin of the term contingency that now occupies us lies. We can also establish that it is made up of the following elements:
• The prefix "con-", which is used to indicate "meeting".
• The verb “tangere”, which can be translated as “play”.
• The suffix “-entia”, which is equivalent to “agent quality”.
Contingency usually refers to something that is likely to happen , although there is no certainty about it. The contingency, therefore, is the possible or that which may or may not materialize.
Thus, for example, it is common for certain countries or governments to establish contingency plans to deal with situations that are likely to happen. A clear example of this is that from Germany it is rumored that contingency measures are being created to deal with the possible exit of Greece from the European Union.
We cannot forget either that in Argentina there is an agency that responds to the name of the Directorate of Agriculture and Climate Contingencies (DACC). It depends on the Ministry of Production, Technology and Innovation of the Government of Mendoza and has several equally significant objectives:
• Provide meteorological information so that it can be used correctly within the agricultural field, which is useful for locating and registering crops.
• Determine the damages that can be suffered due to the aforementioned weather conditions in agricultural spaces.
• Develop and implement contingency plans in different climatic situations.
• Offer a wide variety of services and products such as frost or hail risk maps by crop, hail defense programs, daily weather forecast, producer advice, agricultural solidarity fund and compensation for climatic contingencies ...
Another way of understanding the notion of contingency is as a event whose realization is not foreseen. A contingency, in this sense, can be spontaneous or provoked.
Typically, when a person faces a contingency, have to modify its expected behavior or develop a specific action, motivated by the emergence of the contingency in question. Suppose a family travels by car from home to the Beach and plans to arrive at its destination at 4 pm. In the middle of the road, the car suffers a contingency: it click a tire. The driver, therefore, will be forced to stop the gear and replace the tire before continuing the journey. The expected arrival time, therefore, will not be met due to contingency.
The idea of contingency is cause for reflection in the field of philosophy . The thinkers of this branch of the science affirm that the contingent It is not necessary, but it is possible . This, however, does not indicate that everything possible or everything that is not necessary is contingent.
Differentiating between contingencies and the necessary things is one of the keys to philosophical reflection on the concept. The contingent, in short, is something that may be but which, in turn, may not be .